Simple Ice Cream Recipe
Usually ice cream recipes calls for the use of egg yolks, leaving you with a number of egg whites to deal with. The good thing is egg whites can keep even in the freezer. Just pop them into a ziplock bag and freeze the egg white ready for use when you need it next.
I stumbled across the recipe for “Granny’s Ice Cream” when searching for an ice cream recipe to use some sour cream I had bought. Surely ice cream could be made from sour cream I was thinking… so I was super excited to find this simple recipe that only needed 4 ingredients. All of which I had at home.
- Sour cream
- Egg whites
- Sweetener (original recipe had sugar)
I love it when there are simple recipes with only a few ingredients!
The recipe also had a no ice cream machine option and I’m sure you could make this using the double ziplock bag method of ice cream making (if you want something quickly).
I just can’t believe I hadn’t found this recipe previously as I had been making simple ice creams previous to going keto.
Keto Granny Ice Cream - Peanut Butter
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 5 teaspoons powdered Xylitol (I have reduced this down from the original recipe as it was too sweet!)
- 1 pinch vanilla You can use vanilla essence
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sweetner and vanilla, continuing to beat until soft peaks form. Carefully fold in sour cream until well blended. Fold in any additional flavorings or goodies at this time.
- Churn mixture in ice cream maker or....
- Place the mixture into the freezer and stir every 30 minutes or so until frozen. This can be made without stirring, but the texture will be icy rather than creamy.
Egg white vs Egg Yolk
I love this recipe and taste of the ice cream so much. It’s super scoopable even days after. Whilst still hard it’s no where as difficult as “normal” home made ice cream. It’s that good that I feel like making a batch now (but maybe with black sesame — you know to make it more Asian!) but feel that egg white keeps for longer than egg yolk. Maybe it’s time to whip up two batches — one with green tea and one with black sesame! Stay tuned!
Interested in your recipes and would like to be informed of any new ones.
Do you have a keto recipe for Kueh Bakar Pandan, Pandan Chiffon Cake or any recipes made with coconut Flour.