Keto Cakes gone wrong… to a winner “combo” dessert
I made some keto vegan cupcakes. Except they didn’t turn out so good. I think it was the baking powder. They didn’t turn out well so I made a second batch using a different recipe. Also not so good. They were a bit fudgier than I expected. And didn’t rise. But they taste OK.
So I thought to rescue it and make a dessert from it.
And OMG yum. And simple. Actually this is my favourite type of dessert where there are a few flavours and textures mixed together.
A combination of berries, ice cream, cake and nuts. Yum. 😋🤤
This was tonight’s one:
- 4 strawberries 🍓 sliced (any berries will do – I just have whatever is on special usually for the week. I think at this stage it will be strawberries for a while as blueberries and raspberries are over $5 a punnet)
- 1 mini failed keto cupcake (cut into 8 pieces – you can just crumble it with your hands but I had the knife already). If you haven’t got any failed cake 🙃, omit or use whatever left over cake like thing you have. Brownie perhaps? or Paper wrapped sponge cake? Or Cookie?
- 2 scoops of keto friendly ice cream (I’ve used coconut yoghurt or just dollop cream or whipped cream in other version). Tonight’s was my vegan keto coconut ice cream (peanut butter).
- sprinkle of salted peanuts 🥜 (I’ve used all different options of nuts — whatever I have on hand)
How simple and yum. If you want to be fancy throw a couple of mint leaves on top.
Did you know that 🤔 trifle is a dessert that’s often made when you have a failed cake. Usually a burnt cake and you need to cut off the failed bits to take the ok bits but hide them in something else. A trifle is like a big parfait. With layers of cake, jelly (jello) and custard. Usually served in a glass bowl so it looks fancy.
Hmmm maybe that’s what I should have done. Put my dessert into a fancy goblet or glass and eaten out of that. It may have been a smaller portion too! Next time! I’m all for making something look fancy or cute. Somehow it makes it more exciting to eat.
I seem to make what I call a “combo dessert” often… as evidenced by this collection of photos. I take photos of most of my food but only maybe 70%… so you can imagine there are other times where I’ve had something similar and didn’t take a photo!
Some of the combo dessert options are:
- keto brownies
- keto cookies or biscuits
- keto mug cake (leftovers??)
- keto cupcakes
- keto slices
- keto no bake desserts
- Keto Ice cream
- Keto Vegan ice cream (coconut cream based)
- Unsweetened coconut yoghurt
- Whipped cream
- Canned whipped cream
- Dollop cream
- Unsweetened full fat Greek Yoghurt
Nuts and crunch (these are just some of the ones I have used since this is what I have at home most of the time!)
- roasted hazelnuts
- roasted peanuts
- roasted crushed nuts
- cacao nibs
- flaked almonds
- whole roasted almonds
- slivered almonds
- roasted pecans
- roasted macadamia nuts
Do you do a combo dessert? I’d love to know what you do with yours!